Don’t Let Your Eyes Stay Dry
Over 4.8 million Americans experience symptoms of dry eyes, which can make everyday tasks uncomfortable and irritating. Fortunately, your eye doctor can help you take back your life from this annoying condition.
Don’t let dry eyes stop you from enjoying the activities you love. Contact Total Vision Los Gatos today, and let us show you options for finding relief.
Why Do My Eyes Get Dry?
It’s normal for everyone’s eyes to feel dry occasionally, but it shouldn’t noticeably impact your quality of life. Chronic dry eye syndrome occurs when your tears stop properly lubricating your eyes—either because your eyes aren’t making enough tears or you’re making tears of poor quality. In either case, you may experience significant and ongoing discomfort.
Common Dry Eye Symptoms
Associated Risks for Dry Eyes
You may be more likely to develop dry eyes if you:
- Are over 50 years old.
- Aree vitamin A deficient.
- Are undergoing hormonal changes because of pregnancy, menopause, postmenopausal estrogen treatments, or androgen insufficiency.
- Are taking antihistamines or specific medications, including some antidepressants and SSRIs.
- Have hepatitis C.
- Have a vascular disease.
- Have had corneal surgery.
- Received stem cell therapy.
- Have been exposed to radiation (including during chemotherapy).
Popular Dry Eye Therapies
Our optometrists at Total Vision Los Gatos may recommend any of the following therapies for patients with dry eyes:
- Artificial tears, which add moisture to your eyes to reduce dry eye symptoms.
- Steroids, which are applied topically and have anti-inflammatory properties. These products are often able to reduce dry eye symptoms, even in severe cases.
- Punctal plugs, which are inserted into your tear ducts to slow the rate your tears drain. Punctal plugs can be more effective when used with topical dry eye treatments.
- Heat masks, which use warmth and gentle pressure to reduce inflammation from dry eyes.
- Scleral lenses, which are designed to leave a fluid-filled gap between the lens and the cornea, making them more comfortable for people with dry eyes than other types of contacts.
- Eyelid-Cleansing Wipes, which may support other dry eye therapies and can be easily disposed of after each use.
Our Location in Los Gatos
Where Is Your Practice?
Our practice is on North Santa Cruz Avenue, at the corner of Bachman Avenue. If you’re early for your appointment, you’ll find eateries and plenty of other shops nearby to explore.
- 233 N Santa Cruz Avenue
- Los Gatos, CA 95030
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: Closed
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Our Eye Care Services
Adult & Senior Eye Exams
Regular eye exams let your eye doctor detect early signs of eye diseases and vision problems. Learn more about how eye exams help preserve your ocular health and vision.
Children’s Eye Exams
As children grow, their eyes require special attention to promote healthy development. Learn when to take your children for eye exams and how the process works.
Contact Lens Exams, Fittings, & Brands
Contact lenses may help you see clearly without needing to wear glasses. Find out how our contact lens exams can match you with comfortable, effective products.